Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Quarter Life Crisis Countdown: Things to Love about Austin


I'm posting a list of 25 items each day leading up to my birthday at the end of the month to celebrate 25 years of gathered wisdom and useless information.

I've lived in Austin for almost four months. I loved it before I decided to move here and I love it even more now that I live here. Here is just a sampling of what's good in and around the ATX, in no particular order:

1. Heat (Austin has it in spades)
2. Bluebonnets
3. Lone Star beer
4. Alamo Draft House
5. BBQ (in Austin, this means smoked brisket)
6. Barton Springs
7. Cowboy boots
8. Sandra Bullock (owns a local watering hole, an upscale deli with the best pastrami sandwich in town, and a bistro)
9. Breakfast tacos
10. Two-step
11. Street misprunawnciations, y'all (i.e. Manchaca = Machack; Pedernales = Purduhnawlus; Guadalupe = Guadaloop, etc...)
12. Whole Foods
13. The Austin experimental art scene
14. Sweet tea
15. Follow That Bird! (I would also say Neon Indian, but he moved to Brooklyn with the rest of 'em)
16.

17. Dai Due
18. Waterloo Records
19. Red River Street
20. The Frost Building

21. BookPeople
22. Boggy Creek Farm
23. South Congress
24. Burnet Rd. thrift stores (especially if you're looking for mid-century modern)
25. Austinites (quite possibly the friendliest weirdos in the world)

No comments: